Winrow Solicitors
Winrow Solicitors Winrow Solicitors
Winrow Solicitors, North and Mid Wales
- practical affordable legal advice

Tier 4 Student Visa

Individuals from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) who wish to study in the UK can do so by applying for a Tier 4 Student Visa so long as they fit the necessary criteria.

Under this category such visas are only for those looking to study a full time educational course in the UK. Our immigration team are highly experienced in dealing with such applications on behalf of prospective student entrants

Winrow Solicitors are experienced immigration solicitors that will go far above and beyond simply providing advice. We will fully represent your case in close partnership with you.

We are professional solicitors that will deliver a professional service to you as professional people.

Winrow Solicitors can give immigration advice in 9 different languages.

Contact us now for your no obligation free assessment

When you choose Winrow Solicitors to help you with your Immigration problem, you will receive;

Expert legal advice: many years of expertise in Immigration Law;

Individual Service: professional and friendly legal advice to meet specific needs.

Location: We can assist you using modern technology wherever you are in the world;

Affordable: fixed payment plan with no hidden extra fees;

Peace of mind: Winrow Solicitors is regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority;

FAQ’s about Tier 4 Students

What are the main requirements for a Tier 4 (Student) visa?

You need to be over 16 years of age and you wish to study in the UK. As a useful guide on applying for a Tier 4 Student visa:

Applications are only considered for those who have already been given an unconditional offer of a place on a course of study from a licensed Tier 4 sponsor

Prospective applicants must be able to show that they have enough funds to support themselves and pay the fees for their course. The exact amount of funds required will vary dependent on each applicant's personal circumstances.

Those wishing to apply must be able to prove their knowledge of the English language. This will often be in the form of passing a secure English language test (SELT) and the type of test taken will depend on the level of the course to be studied.

Such tests must be taken through establishments that are included on the official list of approved test providers.

Accordingly applicants do not need to prove their knowledge of english if they have already gained a qualification that is equivalent to a uk degree or are a national of one of the countries on the exemption list. Please contact our immigration team if you are unsure and need clarification as to whether you fit into this criteria.

Applicants for a Tier 4 student visa are also exempt from proving their knowledge of english if they have studied previously in the uk under a Tier 4 (child) visa

When can you apply for a Tier 4 (Student) visa?

If you want to apply for a tier 4 (student) visa you can do so at the earliest 3 months prior to the date their course of study is due to commence. Processing times for applications will vary dependent on the country you are applying from. Our immigration team are can guide and advise you with regards to this and your specific circumstances.

Individuals who have been being given an unconditional offer of a place on a course from a licensed tier 4 sponsor will be sent a unique reference number known as a confirmation of acceptance for studies (cas) which you will need to enter as part of your visa application. You must apply for your tier 4 student visa no more than 6 months after receiving your cas. Please note only in certain situations can applicants applying from within the UK obtain a CAS.

Once you have been granted a Student visa you will want to know when you can come to the UK?

Once you have be successful in obtaining a tier 4 (student) visa you are permitted to enter the uk prior to the commencement of your course of study:

Up to 1 week before the start date, for those undertaking a course that lasts 6 months or less

Up to 1 month before the start date, for those undertaking a course that lasts 6 months or more

What you are permitted to do under this visa?

Once you are in the uk as a student you are entitled to study and are permitted to gain work within most job criteria dependent on the type of sponsor and level of course they are studying. No applicants under a tier 4 (student) visa are permitted to claim any public funds.

You can extend your stay in the UK under a Student visa

For those individuals who may seek to extend their stay in the future either to continue their course or study a new one, this may be possible so as long as you continue to meet the original criteria are remaining in the uk and have the necessary sponsorship in place. As with original applications this must be applied for no more than 6 months after obtaining a cas and before the expiration of your current visa. Applicants who wish for dependent family members to join and remain with them may be able to do this but must satisfy specific criteria.

For further expert and professional advice and assistance in relation to Tier 4 (Student) Visas, including with regards to fees and charges, application processing times and the necessary requirements for extending your visa, please do not hesitate to contact our immigration team who are ready and able to help you.

Please be advised that Immigration Rules are always changing. Contact us for the latest help, advice and information with regards to your query.

Call us for advice on 01286 872779 or send us a message

Send a message

Your message:

Your name:

Your phone number:

Your email address:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The information you provide will be only used by us to administer your enquiry and any response. Use of this form does not create a solicitor-client relationship and information transmitted will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. If you are a client, please get in touch with your usual firm contact directly for the most timely response.

I have read and accepted these terms