Winrow Solicitors

01286 872779

For free initial expert legal advice
contact us now on 01286 872779

Home / Areas of Practice / Employment Law / Workplace Discrimination / Discrimination in the Workplace
/ Victimisation


What is victimisation?

Victimisation occurs when you are badly or subjected to a detriment because you have made a complaint about discrimination related to one of the protected characteristics.

It is also victimisation if you have supported someone else who has made a complaint and you are subjected a detriment for doing so. This extra legal protection is in place because it is recognised that may be worried about complaining, or supporting someone else that feels they have been discriminated against.

What’s meant by having suffered a detriment?

Detriment means you have been subjected to some sort of disadvantage.


You make a complaint of sex discrimination against your employer. As a result, you’re denied a promotion. This is victimisation and you can take action against your employer under the Equality Act. Your detriment is you did not get your promotion.

In a nutshell, it is unlawful for someone to treat you badly because you do something about unlawful discrimination or because they think you have done or may do something about unlawful discrimination.


Bullying can be defined as offensive, intimidating, malicious or insulting behaviour, an abuse of misuse of power that undermines, humiliates, denigrates or injures the recipient (emotionally or physically), perhaps this can be seen as very similar to harassment.

However, bullying is not included in the Equality Act so is not related to a protected characteristic.

That said, the absence of bullying from the statute books does not mean you have no protection from bullying.

Neither does it mean that bullies can get away with bullying you so long as their behaviour is not concerning a protected characteristic.

All employers have a ‘duty of care’ for their employees, so if you are being bullied we suggest you firstly raise a grievance with your employer about the person bullying you. If they fail to deal with the problem then you could resign and make a claim for constructive dismissal.

Whilst resigning may well remove the bully from your life, you will be out of work so before taking such drastic action come and take advantage of a free half hour assessment of your case.

Contact Winrow Solicitors

If you have a discrimination law problem, call now to get free, no obligation consultation from one of our solicitors.

Ian Winrow:
01286 872779
Amy Hughes:
07497 777828

Send a message

Your message :

Your name :

Your phone number :

Your email address :

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The information you provide will be only used by us to administer your enquiry and any response. Use of this form does not create a solicitor-client relationship and information transmitted will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. If you are a client, please get in touch with your usual firm contact directly for the most timely response.

I have read and accepted these terms